Saturday, June 28, 2008

The "Woo Woo To Do"

As I was catching up on my Oprah for the week, I noticed that in one week she had Dr. Oz talking about past lives on one day with Dr. Brian Weiss and New Age revolutionaries like Louise Hay, Martha Beck, and Sheryl Richardson on another day talking about daily affirmations and Law of Attraction. For the record, I think it is safe to say that Oprah has gone "*Woo Woo" people and in turn making it mainstream.

Now usually I am not one to claim credit (although I do seem to be doing it lately - but at least conscious of it:-), but I have been following these new age philosophers practically since birth. While not explicitely perhaps in the form of mantras, meditations, and master cleanse, I was born into a family where we were taught to believe in ourselves and see the affirmative in every possible situation. My grandfather gave each of his grandchildren a gift of "Grandpa's Hints For Life" listing the top 10 lessons that we should aspire to in our life - "Develop and maintain your self-image, YOU ARE THE BEST" is number 6.

As I watch Oprah telling stories how she passes by a mirror on a daily basis and says "Hello Sunshine" as her self-love mantra, a part of me feels a sense of relief because perhaps the "O factor" can be that shifting point to wake people out of the humdrum of their daily lives. And if she can look in a mirror and say she loves herself, why can't the rest of us?

So what does all this have to do with sustainability and living green? Well, perhaps it is a stretch, but sustainability is literally about being conscious of our daily choices. And being conscious of how we view and feel about ourselves is where the deepest perception must change for the true paradigm shift to occur. If we can't love ourself, how can we love our planet? I get how cheesy that sounds, but I like to call it the "inner green."

Now perhaps affirmations and mantras are not your thing. Trust me, it is easy to judge as "koo koo" (a step below woo woo) because it feels awkward, silly, and sometimes really hard to look at yourself in the mirror and say "I Love You." I mean I can't even write it without giggling. But it is the modern age people, so we can get creative. The best example of this is from my older sister, who likes to leave herself voicemail messages when she needs to add something to her to do list. But because affirmations are part of our blood, she adds a special flare that goes something like this.

(note: For some reason whenever my sisters are on the phone or in a crowd, their Oklahoma accents tend to come out. If you can't imagine that - think Texas with an Alabama twang - not a tried and true accent, but one I think they got from my Aunt Tricia. So please try to imagine this as she calls herself.)

"Hey, it's me. First of all, you looked FABULOUS today. Great color. I wanted to make sure and remind you to call _______________ regarding __________________. Ok, have a great day. And seriously you look amazing today. Love you!"

The thing is, she is totally serious! So if mirrors aren't your thing, try the "woo woo to do" approach of my sister, texting, or even twittering yourself. Better yet, check out these Louise Hay online wisdom cards - (or buy them here for the full mantra:-) the perfect user friendly affirmative reminder. Whatever it takes - embrace the momentary awkwardness, grab hold of that conscious spark, and feel a little bit of the inner green love!

*Editor's note: You will notice the use of "woo woo" used throughout this blog. I am perfectly aware that "woo woo" has numerous terms, many of which are perhaps inappropriate and embarrassing to get into here. But for the use of this blog, it is meant to imply spiritual, energetic, perhaps even "koo koo" and embodies thoughts that many consider to be too new agey and out there.

No comments: